Sunday, September 8, 2013

Villa Grinaldi

It's like America, but South! - Ellie Fredricksen


I have learned that every country has a story. And I cannot hear one of these stories without being changed, or without seeing my own country with new eyes. A week ago, I had no idea what Chile is like. Now that I know a week's worth of history, I am both shaken and hungry to learn more. I believe I have a responsibility to share the stories I learn, and if you're interested, that's something I would love to do sometime over coffee. For now I will just say that the phrase: US-supported military dictatorships in Latin America during the Cold War takes on entirely new meaning after visiting Villa Grinaldi, a detention and torture site from the Pinochet era. 

My favorite mural, that I see on my way to school.
Of Gabriela Mistral, Chilean poet and educator. 
It's new and invigorating to be learning these things in a community of people who all care passionately about educational policy, each with incredibly unique experiences behind that passion. I was surprised to discover that not only do I already have a general awareness of the two main candidates in the upcoming presidential elections, I genuinely care who wins. (I was happy to join in last night when my host family started chanting: Bachelet! Bachelet!) And I can tell you that I certainly DID NOT participate in a march last Thursday demanding free and quality education. And SIT Study Abroad assumes no responsibility.  



So I have learned of a tragic history and a politically tense struggle for change, but I have also met a people who love their country and are serious about celebrating it. Independence day is still more than a week away, but I have already attended two festive asados (barbecues). And learned that an asado means a piece of meat as big as my plate, that is like, ridiculously delicious. I'm also loving family culture here. Along with my immediate host family I have two host Grandmas, a host Grandpa, host aunts, uncles and cousins. All of whom greet me warmly with a besito whenever we see each other.  

There's certainly a lot more to learn in the next few months, and I welcome more weeks like this one, that are packed to the brim with new experiences. But I also remind myself to slow down and just live here. Much like my meal last night, this a marathon, not a sprint.   


Spanish language success of the week: explaining to my host family what a hipster (eepster) is. Luckily I had an example - Uncle Felipe. 

Copyright note: I am currently in possession of a malfunctioning camera, and several lovely friends who are documenting this experience like bosses. Credits for this post (and likely more to come) go to Carolina Bybee and Ali Sadler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment